Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Why I Teach

I have been reminded this week why it is that I choose to teach. True, it is not a very lucrative profession. There are many times that a teacher does not feel they get the respect they deserve. Most teachers put in so much time out of the spotlight-at home at night where only their family can see. Yes, it can be frustrating at times. However there are those moments that make it worthwhile. A few examples from this week. Names are not given-- but the stories are real--

A child who came to our school so far behind. This child had seen destruction like most of us do not ever have to face. This child has worked so hard to overcome these things- refusing to let the circumstances of life hold him back. He went to extra tutoring during school, he went to extra tutoring after school, he spent time at home doing extra work, he took time before and after school to work with his teachers-- and it paid off. This child passed both of the state tests for 6th grade this year. He had not passed a benchmark throughout the entire year- and yet his hard work and determination paid off. How cool that I get to be the one to tell him tomorrow!

An entire 6th grade this year that has had ups and downs. They don't always get along and today was a different story. Today was the big Cluster meet among several other schools. I did not get to go. I was the "lucky" one who got to stay behind with those who did not quite make it. The stories I heard of the kids cheering each other on, supporting each other! They came in a bit down thinking they had received 2nd place. They would be the first 6th grade in the history of the school to NOT get 1st place. The teachers were congratulating them, but still- a gloomy feel. The principal came on the intercom to announce the results to the entire school. She announces from 6th-3rd place. She got to 2nd place and all were expecting to hear our school- but no-- by a small 6 points- our kids won! They had helped each other out and pulled out a victory! You would have thought they had won the gold medal! They were all jumping up and down-screaming- hugging! What a great sight to see these kids work together.

Last but by far not the least--the young girl who comes with fear in her eyes needing someone to talk to. Questions, wanting answers- searching- wanting someone to just listen--and she came to me. She trusted me.

Thank you Lord for giving me an opportunity to make a difference. I pray that You will guide me each day- let my words be your words. Let me not take credit for what you are doing through me. I know there are many times I wish I did not have to work- however-- I am thankful that you have provided me with such an opportunity to minister.

No comments: