Friday, May 12, 2006

The Whisker

So, I just finished my shower and as I am putting moisturizer on my face I find it--AGAIN! The whisker. Now, let me tell you, this can be quite annoying at times--it sticks out-- right at the end of my chin. If I do not yank it early enough I am sure the entire world can see it protruding from my chin. It must be gargantuan! However tonight- I find myself changing my mind about the whisker. My mother has a whisker or two. My grandmother had a whisker or two. Now, on the Friday before Mother's Day, I find myself lucky to be in the company of such women. See, my mom has taught me many things throughout the years. I am sure there are many things she wishes I would forget! However, my mother has been a great example of what a mother should be. My mother has always been my biggest fan, my biggest cheerleader. My mother has always supported me, even if she didn't always agree with my decisions. My mother has always prayed for me- even when I know at times she had to feel her prayers were not being answered. My mother held my head when I was sick. She stayed up with me at night. My mother cried with me in both good and bad times. My mother has celebrated with me, but most of all my mother has loved me-no matter what. See, she had a good example. Her mother taught her the most important thing about being a mother--Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. She set the example for my mother and I am so thankful that my mother followed in her mother's footsteps. My mother was not always perfect. She made mistakes. But she always shared her love of the Lord with my sister andme. My mother modeled reading the Bible. My mother modeled how to pray. My mother encouraged us to be involved in church. My mother found ways to send us to every camp and activity the church offered. My mother knew what was important- what we needed to be the foundation of our lives. She knew she would make mistakes, but she also knew that Jesus would never fail us. She made sure we knew that. My mother can be a bit qurky at times. She loved to skate in the kitchen and I used to be so embarrassed! Now I get it-- my mother loves life and lives it to the fullest. So thank you mom--thank you for teaching me the most important things in life-- thank you for showing me how to live life to the fullest-- you know- we need to skate in the kitchen again! It has been far too long! As for my whisker-- I wear it with pride--after all- I am in the company of some really great ladies! I love you!

No comments: