Friday, July 03, 2009

Overblown Expectations

I heard that phrase, "overblown expectations" a few minutes ago on Oprah. As I sat listening to the explanation... I realized how it really describes how I am in so many situations in my life. I want so much for my kids, for my family... for myself. Many times my desire for wonderful memories leaves me disappointed after most anything to be honest. I have ideas about how things should be... want the best...want everyone to have fun... will go to the utmost extremes to try and create the best environment... that I either don't have fun myself.. or get upset if it doesn't turn out like I dreamed. I'm sitting here in one of those moments right now... knowing that I have a decision to make... knowing that I am just tired enough after the sleepover last night, ( see post below) that I am probably setting myself up for disappointment no matter what I choose. It is 4th of July weekend... I SOOOOO want to go to the concerts, kids play area, fireworks put on by the city tonight. I SOOOO want to go to the parade in the morning , to be a part of the celebrations. I SOOO want to have plans for tomorrow and we have an option..... I would love to see fireworks again tomorrow night. However, none of these things appeal to my husband. He would rather not go.... in fact has already said he probably won't go. I can't blame him for not enjoying these things.. it is who he is. However, that messes with my dream... my desire for our family and for our kids. No matter what I choose to do, my overblown expectations are not going to be met. I am already disappointed. Do I venture out with 2 kids on my own... who are tired already... when I am tired... so we can make memories....even though the likelihood of attitudes is high after little sleep? Do I stay at home... knowing that I will be disappointed? I don't know what to do... and find myself in situations like this more than I don't...sorry I have now rambled... but as it is quiet in my house.. kids sleeping, husband gone with his brother until late tonight..I find myself needing to talk... to get this off my chest... to throw my hurt, disappointment, and overblown expectations to God and say... HELP as I know only YOU can bring healing.. only YOU can help me learn how to balance.... so I am crying out to YOU!

6 comments:

Kristy said...

I understand where you are. I have been there. Mainly because Curtis is in class 4 nights a week. Sometimes you go, sometimes you stay. You decide to make the best of it and if it isn't the best - they are still memories that your kids will have. Praying for you girl!

Melanie said...

We absolutely have this one trait in common.

TXSkipper said...

This is one of the biggest things I worked on in counseling...and one of the most freeing things once I finally learned to lower my expectations of myself, others, and life in general. I'm still learning, and I pray God will help you learn how to expect perfection from no one or nothing except Him. Love you -

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather said...

What a wonderful reflection Kristi. I truly love you for sharing this. I think so many women feel the same way you do. Cody has told me I think everything is supposed to be "movie magic." I work up so much in my head and then get so disappointed in how things turn out - remind me to tell you my proposal story sometime. ;) But I've learned even in disappointments I look back and smile...eventually. If you figure out how not to dream so much let me in on that secret!!

KRichardson said...

This speaks volumes to me on several accounts but all related to expectations.