Saturday, August 09, 2008

Can Squirrels Swim??

I never have thought about it... but can squirrels swim? I looked out the back door a few days ago and saw a squirrel sitting on the edge of the pool. We have lots of squirrels since we have many trees in the backyard. However, they have not been near the pool-- as far as we know. He walked up and down the side a bit-- and then....

He attempted to walk out on the middle..... I wish I had the video on. I have never seen a squirrel move so quickly. He started back peddling.....

And somehow managed not to end up in the pool...... which leads me to wonder.... Can squirrels swim??

1 comment:

Mature and sane. said...

8//18/08

I just did a look-up to see what I could find and I found your photos.

I live on a small lake. Ducks, geese a few heron now an then here in Lakewood, NJ.

Walking down to a group of ducks swimming about eight feet off shore I see a head and then the body of what looked like a squirril. I was thinking of takine a picture in kind of a shocked gaze...the squirril (?) turned to me...looked directly at me for a few seconds...then did one of those on the surface kind of head first dives straight down with his little butt and tail following...then gone. I walked carefully closer to the edge to see if I could see him come up the little half foot grassy bank. Never saw him. I swear it was a squirril. I don't know what would have shown up on my phone camera. Big regretss I took nothing.

Alternate possibilites....muskrat? Didn't look ratty. Beaver...seen beaver..too small. I am sure it was a squirril. May never know...guess we have to keep looking?

Ed